Fair Trade in a nutshell
Fair Trade is a movement of like-minded organizations around the world that abide by 10 principles that are summarized below;
- Creating opportunities for economically disadvantaged producers.
- Transparency and accountability in all business operations.
- Just trading practices with no exploitation of suppliers.
- Payment of a market sustainable fair price.
- Adherence to UN Conventions and National laws on children’s rights
- Non discrimination, gender equity and freedom of association of staff.
- Safe and healthy working environment.
- Capacity building by developing staff and suppliers.
- Promotion of the Fair Trade Movement.
- Good stewardship of the environment.
World Fair Trade Organization links